Thanks for tagging wonderful ladies etherealreality and drifter-nomad . This is excellent in enabling my procrastination. This is also the first time I have tagged people in a Tumblr posts. That was not part of my Six Facts About Me tag. Okay. Here we go.
1. I guess if you know me you know this, but it still stands as a fact: writing is me. As in it’s not something I do, it is inextricable with me. Whether I am good at it or not, isn’t as important as the fact that I love it and have done it since I could. I write every day- whether it be a poem, a song, part of a novel/story, a script, or a blog post that will never see the light of day. Makes me cry , brings me joy. Makes me feel unconquerable, makes me feel inadequate , it is frustrating and it is my release. I am not me without it. I thank God for it. Like the most passionate and fiery relationship, with the deepest love. It is the Chuck to my Blair.
2. Speaking of: American teen dramas helped bring me up and are the reason I can sometimes sound like a weird posh black valley girl. Sorry, not sorry. I went to a tiny private girls school and essentially had no social life, so I lived vicariously through them and yes it was very sad but also kind of really great. I think weirdly being immersed in a world that was not my own helped mould my brain further into being a storyteller.(I think??????? idk???)
3. I cry once a week. At least.
4.I really really really love my job- in TV comedy. It’s a dream. Which is really great because I quit my last job to chase my dreams. Faith, knowledge of self and audacity are so important when it comes to happiness. Hate to quote Drake (just kidding I obviously love it) “know yourself know your worth” .
Which actually is a dumb quote because I feel like anyone could have said that. In fact I am pretty sure I said that before Drake ever did. I feel like Drake stalked my Twitter timeline. Drizzy, papi, how come you stalk but no follow bae?
5. I vacillate between being “ditzy” and “deep”- not on purpose, but because I don’t know how to be any other way. I love the silly and the witty. I love Junot Diaz and I like The Kardashians. I love The New Yorker (in particular the SHouts&Murmers section) and I will discuss Karrueche and Chris. I love pop culture, and I love culture, and I feel like those who think the two are mutually exclusive are narrow minded, dull and myopic. On the flip side I kind of enjoy it when people think I am shallow because it is so much fun making them shut the eff up using long words.
6. I am a romantic. Big time. As in “When Harry Met Sally Is My Favourite Movie” big time. In that I once had a three email correspondence with a guy and thought “omg it’s just like You’ve Got Mail”. In that I wish Taye Diggs and Sanaa Lathan were a real couple, and the bookshelf scene in “Brown Sugar” always gets me. In that why couldn’t Julia roberts and Dermot Mulroney just ended up together because that ring/finger scene in “My Best Friend’s Wedding ” was so fucking hot. As in my parents were childhood sweethearts.
However, I also was brought up by a badass, formidable, beautiful “bow down bishes” Queen of a lady, who taught me confidence and self-worth, and wisdom with regards to matter of the heart. As much as I am a romantic, I also have a brain I don’t lose when I am into someone. I don’t take bullshit. I swoon standing up, because when you’re lying down it’s easy for a guy to walk all over you.Even if he doesn’t mean to.